Police investigating the Stockholm truck attack have arrested six more suspects after three were bundled out of a car and police raided a property 12 miles from the scene where four died.
Officers smashed the window on the driver’s side of the vehicle, thought to be linked to the atrocity, and took three people into custody at 5pm, local media reported.
Later, heavily armed policemen raided a flat in the suburb of Vårberg and surrounded three people in the courtyard.
Police have not yet commented on the arrests.
Earlier it was revealed a 39-year-old Uzbek man arrested on Friday under suspicion of organising the attack was known to the police and had ISIS propaganda on his laptop.
Police also confirmed a homemade bomb was found inside the truck and the man arrested is ‘likely’ to be the driver.
The father-of-four was qualified to handle explosives, a former colleague who interviewed him for an asbestos disposal job last autumn has said.
The head of Sweden’s domestic intelligence agency told a press conference the suspect had been on authorities’ radar some time ago.
Anders Thornberg, head of the Swedish Security Service, said: ‘The suspect didn’t appear in our recent files but he earlier has been in our files.’
In a further development, the first victim of the attack has been identified as an 11-year-old girl who was on her way home from school when the Islamist fanatic struck.
Her mother had previously released a desperate appeal for information about her whereabouts on Facebook. MailOnline is not identifying her at this time following a request from her family.
Police chief Dan Eliasson added the suspect was a ‘marginal character’ and was not thought to be under direct surveillance.
The man was arrested in the early hours of the morning after the terror attack left four people dead and 15 injured.
Speaking at the press conference, Mr Eliasson said he could not give any further details on the suspect or if he had any links to the ISIS terror group.
He said: ‘He was known. The intelligence and security police were aware and said he was a marginal character.
‘There is nothing that tells us that we have the wrong person.’
He added he did not know whether others were involved in the attack and said ‘we cannot exclude this’.
It is not know how long the suspect had been in Sweden. Reports by Swedish media described him as a father of four who was found to have ISIS propaganda on his laptop.
Reports have also suggested that the suspect posted jihadist propaganda on social media and had pictures of injured people following the Boston Marathon explosion in 2013.
Police said they were still at a preliminary stage in the inquiry and they were trying to build up a profile of the arrested man’s behaviour and to see if he was part of a wider cell.
The police said he couldn’t confirm or deny if the suspect acted alone.
Mr Eliasson urged the public to remain alert and said he was confident the police in the country could deal with any further terror attacks.
He said: ‘We do not know if there were further persons in this act. We are not excluding that and we are working to see if others were involved.’
Mr Eliasson said there were ‘clear similarities’ to the Westminster terror attack when Khalid Masood drove a car at speed people ploughing into people walking along Westminster Bridge.
Police officer Keith Palmer was stabbed to death at the entrance to Parliament before Masood was shot dead. The four other victims all died from injuries caused by being hit by Masood’s car.
Mr Thornberg said the threat level in the country remained at three on a scale of five. He said they had no intelligence to raise the threat level.
It came after bomb disposal experts found the improvised explosive device packed into a suitcase inside the hijacked beer truck.
The discovery of the bomb points to a planned terror attack rather than an opportunistic attack. It is not known why the IED failed to detonate.
Police have said the man has been arrested and held in charges of carrying out a terror attack in which a stolen beer truck was driven at high speed into the entrance of a department store.
As the press conference was taking place, it was revealed an Uzbek man living at the same address as the terror suspect ran a cleaning company that was suspected of funding ISIS.
The company was part of a 2015 police investigation into an Uzbek crime ring in the Stockholm area which was alleged to have generated significant sums of money for the jihadi group.
The investigation was unable to prove a connection to terror financing, so the case was instead restricted to financial impropriety. Five people were charged and three were convicted.
A man identified as a key member of the group is listed at the same address as the suspect, the Expressen newspaper reported.
A 17-year-old boy who was arrested on Friday night along with his mother have both been released this morning, the Expressen newspaper reported.
It is understood that the main suspect, a 39-year-old man, had previously lived at their address in north Stockholm.
The boy’s mother said that the terror suspect had not been living there despite being registered at the property.
Swedish police today praise two anonymous ‘hero witnesses’ after they followed the terror suspect following yesterday’s atrocity.
Witnesses described how severed limbs and bodies were left littered across the blood-splattered Drottninggatan in a scene reminiscent of a ‘warzone’.
Many told how they had been browsing in busy stores when the lorry came hurtling towards them.
One told of bodies and blood ‘everywhere’ and even a dead dog with its owner screaming beside it.
Nils Bengtsson told of the moment when he realised it was a terror attack: ‘I heard a loud bang and people screaming,’ he said.
‘I then saw the truck coming towards me. Then I started to think about what happened in Nice and realised that the same thing is happening here in front of me.
‘The truck was driving really fast and drove towards people at full force. I was about 100 metres [300ft] from where the truck crashed.
‘I was afraid about what I might see… but I wanted to help so I left the shop and walked out and I was met by chaos.
‘There were injured people everywhere around the truck.
‘People around me were in shock. Everyone was crying and screaming. It felt like being in a warzone.
‘There were several hundred people on the street. I saw at least three or four dead bodies on the street where the truck had crashed.’
Christoffer Ung told TT news agency: ‘I was on my way to the exit and just saw the wall coming towards us like an avalanche.
‘People turned in panic and fled towards the exits. My first thought was that a bomb had exploded. When I came out of the building I saw flames emerging from it.’
Store manager Malin Emto said: ‘Suddenly there was a customer who had a panic attack and started screaming. We ran to the window and saw two dead bodies, badly mangled.’
Besarta Gashi, 31, who is pregnant, said she and her nine-year-old daughter Leonida were feet from being crushed by the lorry.
‘We heard screams. We started to run but did not know where it came from. Just then the truck came a hair’s breadth away from us,’ she said. ‘I jumped away and pulled back my sister and daughter.
‘They had just enough time to get away. I saw parts flying… many dead on the ground. A girl under the truck who could not escape.’
At first, she feared that she had lost her unborn baby but was last night told by doctors that the child had survived.
Jan Granroth was inside a shoe shop when he heard screams. He told Aftonbladet: ‘We stood inside a shoe store and people started screaming. So I looked out of the store and I saw a huge truck slam into the wall opposite.’
Mr Granroth managed to escape after running through an emergency exit.
Another witness, called Dimitris, described the panic and saw ‘at least’ two people being run over.
He said: ‘I went to the main street when a big truck came out of nowhere. I could not see if anyone was driving it but it got out of control.
‘I saw at least two being run over – I ran as fast as I could.’
A woman, called Anna, witnessed the incident and described seeing ‘hundreds of people running for their lives’.
She said: ‘I turned and ran after seeing hundreds of people running, they ran for their lives.’
Shocking video showed hundreds of terrified shoppers sprint for their lives after the truck rammed into pedestrians.
In other footage, shoppers pile into a clothes store as the terrorist truck speeds past.
Just moments after the suspected terrorist incident, armed police wearing gas masks arrived at the scene and shut off the busy road in the centre of the capital.
Glen Foran, an Australian tourist in his 40s, said: ‘I turned around and saw a big truck coming towards me. It swerved from side to side.
‘It didn’t look out of control, it was trying to hit people … it was terrible. It hit a pram with a kid in it, demolished it. It took a long time for police to get here … it felt like forever.’
Annevi Petersson, who was in the fitting room of the department store at the time of the attack, said: ‘There was a lady lying with a severed foot. There was blood everywhere.
‘There were bodies on the ground everywhere, and a sense of panic, people standing by their loved ones, but also people running away.’
Maria Nathalie was on the top floor of the store when the fire alarm was triggered.
Speaking on the phone, she told NBC: ‘People started running down the stairs when the fire alarm started.
‘When we came down to the bottom of the building all we could see was a lot of smoke.’
As the centre of the city began to clear this afternoon, the blood stains could be seen as bodies covered in blankets were left on the road.
Paramedics desperately treated injured people near the lorry after they had been caught up in the attack.
Terrified eyewitness Veronica Durango, 42, miraculously escaped and was just one metre away from being struck by the vehicle.
She told Expressen: ‘I could have died.’
On Friday night, as world leaders sent messages of condolence, Sweden’s King Carl XVI Gustaf said his ‘thoughts are going out to those that were affected, and to their families’.
Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, said that it ‘looks like we have seen a despicable act of terrorism’ which was aimed at ‘harming innocent people’.
Speaking just weeks after the Westminster terror attack, Mr Khan said that ‘we will never allow terrorists to succeed’ after a truck ploughed into people in Stockholm.
He said: ‘My thoughts and deepest sympathies are with the victims and the families who have been affected by the horrific attack in Stockholm.
‘The full details are still emerging, but once again it looks like we have seen a despicable act of terrorism aimed at harming innocent people and attacking our shared values of democracy, freedom, justice and tolerance.
‘Londoners know how it feels to suffer from senseless and cowardly terrorism. And I know we share a steely determination with the people of Stockholm that we will never allow terrorists to succeed.
‘We will never be cowed by terrorism, and London stands united with Stockholm and Londoners stand with the people of Stockholm.’